Hey guys! Welcome back. Depression is something many college students struggle with. In the beginning it is common because it is new and can be overwhelming. Once you get used to the environment and the situation, it typically goes away. However, sometimes because of things we have gone through in life, depression sticks around. I have been depressed for most of my life and you find yourself in a similar predicament it can be rather difficult. So I decided to share with you how I cope and how I make it through.
1. Therapy. Asking for help is by no means a sign of weakness. Asking for help, and realizing that you need it alone, is a sign of strength. It shows emotional intelligence and you realize and understand that you can’t get through some things alone. That’s perfectly okay. You weren’t created to go through anything by yourself. I have gone to therapy and it has helped me tremendously. Most colleges have therapists that are free to visit.
2. Keeping myself busy. My professors have no problems helping me that, and neither do my friends Netflix and YouTube. Seriously though, keeping myself busy and occupied keeps me from feeling those feelings. It keeps me from feeling anxious and any other negative feeling I don’t want to feel.
3. Surrounding myself with people who care. Having a support system is vital to all college students, but especially those who struggle with depression. Find friends who are understanding and sympathetic. Find people you can trust and can talk to.
4. Take a walk. This is the biggest thing for me. When the weather is nice (and sometimes when it isn’t) I go and walk around outside. It takes my mind off of things and gets me moving. It helps calm me so much.
5. Self Care. Self Care is another thing that is important to all college students, but it is something that I have to be sure I stay on top of. I take care of myself first and foremost. I make sure I get as much sleep as I can, I eat at least twice a day, and I do things for myself. It helps so much more than it sounds like it ever would.
If you struggle with depression, know that you are not alone. Also, remember to not be afraid of asking for help if you need it.
Thank you so much for stopping by. Feel free to comment any questions you have below. I hope this was helpful. Please like it if it was. Don’t forget to follow before you leave if you have not already and I truly hope to see you all next time.