Hey guys! Welcome back. Everyone knows in college you need to study. But if you don’t study the proper way, things could go south rather quickly. It’s important to know how to study in a way that is going to benefit you and not hurt you. So here are a few tips on how to study effectively that will work for everyone.
1. Review your notes. Because I know you take them. I know you take good notes because that is important to your success. Reviewing your notes several times will help refresh your memory and help things stick.
2. Skim the reading. You don’t have to do every reading assignment, however, it does help to at least skim them when you’re studying. Most likely, the professor will ask you to pull things from the reading during the exam so you need at least something to say. It will also help refresh your memory on key points from your notes.
3. Take breaks. It’s not good to study for hours on end with no breaks. Get up every 30-45 minutes for about five minutes and stretch and get a snack. Allow yourself time to rest so your brain can process everything. You don’t sit in class for hours at a time so you shouldn’t study for hours at a time.
4. Study a little at a time. Study everyday even if you don’t have a test coming up. This way you aren’t trying to study all the week before when you have other stuff going on. Study your notes after class and make sure you understand everything.
5. Start studying early. Start actively studying at least one week before the exam. Actively studying is when you start reviewing all of your notes, going through the readings, and making study guides for yourself. This is the time where you are really trying to make this information stick.
6. Don’t cram. This goes with four and five, but it’s important to mention because so many people do it. You wait until the night before the test and then you’re up all night the night before and it really doesn’t do you any good. Don’t do that.
7. Make flash cards. Go through those key words and points and make flash cards. Ask someone to run through them with you when you’re waiting for class to begin or you’re hanging out. It makes it less boring and you might be less likely to sneak a peek at the answer which is something we are all guilty of doing.
8. Find your study place. Not everyone can study in their dorm. Not everyone can study in the library. Not everyone can study outside. Find your place to study. The place that has the best environment. If you need noise, find somewhere that has the right amount. If you need silence, find the perfect place. Everyone is different.
9. Get help if needed. Ask your professor for help on things you don’t understand. Get a tutor if you are having a lot of trouble. Ask someone in the class to study with you. There is no shame in struggling in a class and getting help. We have all been there. It will hurt you more if you don’t ask for help and you never learn.
10. Don’t wing it! That’s worse than cramming. Not studying at all no matter how easy you think it will be, is never a good idea. You need to prepare in some way or you won’t have a lot of confidence going into the test.
Those are my tips for studying effectively. Let us know what your tips are in the comments. Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope this is helpful and you find these tips useful. Don’t forget to follow before you leave if you have not already and I hope to see you next time!