Hey guys! Welcome back. If you were told in high school that you were preparing to be successful in college, chances are, you are not alone. There were so many times while I was in high school where my teachers, administrators, etc., told me that everything they were doing was preparing me for the road ahead. However, while in some cases that may be true, in many ways, it’s not. When many of us look back, high school was not a pleasant experience. It was four years that we had to suffer through and try to make it out of still standing. But college is different. With that, the struggles are different. Here are a few struggles we face in college that high school doesn’t prepare us for.
1. Not having a lot of money. If you get a job, great. Sometimes we can’t get a job. With our classes, studying, and all the other things we are encouraged to do, getting a job is one thing that just isn’t plausible. Therefore, we don’t always have a ton of money. Sometimes we don’t have any money. It’s a struggle that I’m still not used to and hopefully one day very soon I will start making some money.
2. Making decisions on your own. Before there were a whole lot of people telling you what you can and can’t do. There were people telling you how to dress, where to go, and sometimes how to think. In college, you are less likely to have someone there to tell you those things. You have to make your own decisions and sometimes it is a lot more difficult that you might think.
3. Studying for hours. If we’re being honest, you probably didn’t study much in high school. Even if you got straight A’s you didn’t study as much as you do in college. High school doesn’t really prepare you for all the work that college is. You won’t sleep as much, you won’t have as much free time, and you will be stressed.
4. Going endless days without seeing your pet. In high school you see your pets everyday. In college, unless you go home every weekend, it may be a couple of months before you get to see them again. It’s a difficult adjustment and nothing can prepare you for that goodbye.
5. Not getting as much sleep. In college you have a lot of freedom. You don’t have to be in your room all the time, you will have a lot of homework, and there are so many things that you will be a part of. All those things take time and there isn’t a ton of it. So sleeping is one of those things we tend to give up, even though it’s something we need a lot of.
6. Forgetting about things. In high school, you probably got a lot of reminders about when things are due, places you need to go, and things that need to be done. In college, you have so much going on that even with reminders you are bound to forget about a few things. It sucks, but it happens.
7. Basically living with your friends. High school doesn’t prepare you for getting to see your friends anytime you want. This is a good one. It’s a pleasant surprise when you know longer have to ask for permission to go hang out with someone or go shopping. It’s so much better than you could imagine.
There are some things that high school doesn’t prepare you for that you wish they had. But it’s all part of the experience. Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed this. Please like it if you did. Comment below some things about college that high school didn’t prepare you for, but you wish they had. Don’t forget to follow before you leave if you have not already and I hope to see you next time!