Hey guys! Welcome back. Yesterday I shared a post on how to finish this year strong with your blog. It was a big hit and it seemed to help so many of you, which is super exciting. So today, I thought I would come up with a list of things you can do to prepare your blog for next year. So once you do everything on the first list and feel comfortable, you can do the following things to ensure a fresh start in 2019.
1. Update, update, update. Update everything. All of your pages need to be reviewed and altered if necessary. For instance, I created a YouTube Channel this year, so I need to go add that to the appropriate pages. Update your About Me page because so much has probably changed if you have been blogging for a while. Make sure any links you have attached still work. Updating is one of the biggest and most important things you need to prepare your blog for the next year. It provides a clean slate.
2. Create a content calendar. I recommend a digital version because it is much easier to make changes if necessary. But if you don’t already have some kind of planning tool for your content, long term blogging isn’t going to be much of a success. I always plan my posts out in as much advance as I can because that way I don’t have to worry about what I am going to write about. It limits the stress down the road. If I want to make a last minute alteration, it’s easy with a content calendar.
3. Set intentional goals for your blog. This will be beneficial because these goals will give you a purpose. They will become your “why”. Why are you blogging? Who are you blogging for? What are you hoping to gain from blogging? How often do you want to blog? Where are you hoping your blogging journey takes you? These are all simple questions you should ask yourself and answer when creating goals.
4. Get your blog and social media tracking sheets ready. Tracking your follows, views, and more will be helpful when you go back to analyze how far you have come. Having a blog tracking sheet allows you to compare months and years. They are handy to keep updated because then you just have a sheet in front of you that gives you all of your necessary information.
5. Plan at least one blog break for the year. Whether it’s a couple of days or a couple of weeks, everyone needs to take a break. It’s like taking a vacation. Blogging long term is a lot of work so it’s beneficial to take that break and allow yourself to reset. It can be towards the middle of the year or when something major is coming up and you don’t have time to focus on blogging. If you don’t want to not have blog posts going up, you can always schedule some in advance.
Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope you find this helpful. If you do please like this. Let us know in the comments what you are doing for your blog to prepare for the new year. Don’t forget to follow before you leave if you have not already so you don’t miss out on any other posts and I hope to see you next time!