Hey guys! Welcome back. Today I wanted to talk about blogging and what to do if you find yourself in a rut. I will talk about what happens in a blogging rut so you can tell if you are in a rut and then I will give you a few ways to get out of it. Blogging ruts can be challenging, but they happen. If you are serious about blogging and want it to be successful, you are constantly working on it. So sometimes you fall into a rut, and that’s okay. It is nothing to be ashamed of. But it’s something I feel like I should talk about with you today so you know what happens and how to fix it.
What Really Happens:
1. You don’t love the content you are creating. This happens when we start writing blog posts just to be writing them. This is not doing you or you readers any favors. If you are writing just to increase your numbers, you are blogging for all the wrong reasons. Most likely, your followers would rather have two really great posts to read everyday than an okay post everyday. So if you aren’t writing content you love, you may be in a rut and need some time to bounce back.
2. You start comparing yourself to others. We have all been in the comparison game. I know I have. I start comparing my blog to other people’s and it causes me to lose sight of what I am trying to do. My vision is not the same as someone else’s, therefore, my blog and social media won’t look the same as theirs. If you start comparing your numbers to that of someone else, you will start to get way more bogged down than you need to be. Comparing yourself only causes more stress.
3. You question your creativity and ability. When you start questioning yourself, you are probably in a rut. You start getting upset with all of your work. You don’t think you are creative enough to keep a blog going. You don’t think you are able to do it. You start to get really negative and think negatively of yourself. When you start questioning yourself, you get to a point of trying to decide if you should keep going. And this is usually where people quit.
4. You find yourself constantly overthinking. Maybe you start getting excited about writing again. Maybe you have some great ideas. But then you start overthinking. You start questioning things again. You lose sight of the excitement. This causes you to lose motivation and the desire and passion to keep going. This is sometimes part of being in a blogging rut, and yes, is very real. People go through it and it is normal. So don’t worry if you are here.
5. You lose motivation. Once people lose motivation, they often give up. I touched on motivation previously, but I want to mention it more in depth here. Motivation is what gives us the drive to keep going. So if you find yourself losing motivation, it is a big sign that you are in a blogging rut. Now this is different from being busy and not having the time. This is having the time, and not doing it. Blogging takes passion and drive, so if you lose it you may find yourself in a rut.
How To Get Out:
1. Admit it. This very first thing to do when you find yourself in a blogging rut is to admit it. Understand what it is and be able to admit to yourself, and your followers, that you have hit a rut. Understand that it is normal and you are not alone in this. Other bloggers go through it. However, if you choose to push through it, you can bounce back with ease. But if you decide to give up altogether, you won’t come back and that will be the end.
2. Stop the comparisons. If you truly want to get out of your blogging rut, you have to stop comparing yourself to other people. It does you no good to compare what you have going on to other people. Your blog is special and unique. Your journey is different from that of others. So don’t compare yourself to other people. Give yourself a chance to shine on your own and do your own thing. You will find yourself to be much happier and much more in control.
3. Remind yourself that you are worthy. You are a great blogger if you want to be. You absolutely have the ability to do this and be successful. But you have to remember your worth. You have to remember that you have a voice that is worthy of being heard. So don’t give up. Keep fighting and keep reminding yourself that you can do this. Believing in yourself and your content is the number one way to get out of a blogging rut. Fall back in love with yourself and blogging.
4. Take a break to focus on yourself. Sometimes it is best to take a step back. Take a break from blogging and let your readers know when you will be back. If you feel as though you are in a rut, take some time to focus on yourself. Take some time to get back into the things you love. This way, you can come back and feel good and have the passion again. Your break may remind you why you love blogging and why you started in the first place. This will help you come back strong.
5. Get back at it. If you take a break, regardless of how long, just remember to come back. Don’t give up on your blog. It is important to take breaks sometimes, but if you don’t come back, then it isn’t a break. Take the time you need and come back ready to work. Put out content that you love and spend time really working on your blog. You will be thankful when it all works out and you start loving it again. Blogging is wonderful, so this will help you get over the rut.
Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed this. Please like it if you did. Let me know in the comments how you get out of a blogging rut, or a rut in general. I think we could all learn something from this. Don’t forget to follow before you leave if you have not already and I hope to see you next time!
Click here to join the Geeky Gang.
Click here to shop the boutique.